Whew. We’ve been in a whirlwind. To get back up to date and hopefully start posting more regularly again, I’ll recap the first few months of 2017 and update you on April’s Goals!
I left the December post with Cody getting transferred to Houston, buying a house in Houston, selling our house in Dallas, Cody living in Houston while Truman and I were in Dallas, and what I didn’t mention was that we were also PREGNANT with baby number two!
I’m now 6 months along with baby boy, and we are slowly settling into our new life in the Houston suburbs in our new home. It has definitely been a crazy few months filled with travel, settling, learning, and embracing the new normal.
Setting Intentional 2017 Goals
In the past, I have loosely set and tracked my goals. 2016 was more intentional, but nothing fancy. Just a few pages on a legal pad of goals for different areas of my life. But by about month 5 or 6, I had totally forgotten about these. This year I really wanted to be more intentional.
I have been following Lara Casey’s Powersheets for a while now and figured I’d give them a try this year. So far, I am loving them. I’m hoping to do a full post on my 2017 goals.
In brief, each month has a “tending list” that keeps you focused on what you need to do that month to help you reach your goal. The page is divided into 3 sections. Monthly, weekly, and daily goals.
So, let’s check back on a few of the highlight goals from the last few months. I’ll bold what I completed. Disclaimer, January was too chaotic, so I didn’t fill in my tending list:
- Find an OB, doula, and pediatrician in Houston. I’ve switched OBs after a few unpleasant experiences and also found a chiropractor. This is a serious praise, and we are excited about our new medical care!
- Call contractors and get quotes for our remodel. We are hoping to re-do the upstairs carpet, bath, the kitchen, laundry room and hallway bathroom. We are starting our upstairs remodel this month!
- Plant a garden. It’s growing!! I’ll do a whole post on what’s in it and why we had to replant it 3xs.
- Date night once a month. This should be so simple, but our crazy schedules + not knowing babysitters has made this hard. We’ve had one or two stay at home date nights thanks to Datebox!
- Go to bed with Cody. This is a daily goal that I’ve been trying to implement. I am such a night owl and he is such an early bird, but I’ve found we do better and communicate better when we are on similar schedules. Also, since I have a baby to get up with each morning, it helps me stay accountable to going to bed at a more reasonable hour (not midnight). I probably succeed at doing this 5 or 6 nights a week.
- Get YNAB up to date. We are big believers in You Need a Budget. It’s a great tool for tracking spending and sticking to your budget. With the move, we got completely off the train. I chose to backtrack and manually enter December – March’s spending. Let’s just say this took a LONG time, but we are finally caught up!
And now for April’s goals:
- Enjoy and savor our quality time in Boca. We’re taking a babymoon! Cody’s parents gifted us with a trip down to Boca Grande, Florida, and we couldn’t be more excited to have a few days of late mornings and schedule free days while my parents take care of the little man.
- Read 3 books. Life Giving Home by Sally Clarkson, The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd, and Nothing to Prove by Jennie Allen.
- Meet with a financial planner, get life insurance, and find a lawyer to help us write our will.
- Organize our playroom and get new carpet upstairs. I might be most excited about this (besides our trip) because the upstairs carpet at our new house is NASTY. It’s covered in stains and dog urine.
- Plan out the big events over the next 3 months and decide on Mother’s Day Out for Truman in the fall. We are also trying to figure out what our plan will be for family and help after baby.
- Create summer maternity capsule. It’s pretty frustrating looking through your closet and knowing half the things you touch no longer fit (or are flattering). Up to this point, I’ve still been wearing many of my non-maternity pieces, but those days are quickly coming to an end.
- Do Nancy Ray’s photo organization. I recently hung up our gallery wall and want to include pictures of our family and our ancestors. I’m excited to sort through these and create a system that is maintainable!
- Weekly family meeting & family activity. This month we are really carving out time to be intentional with each other in hopes to create more of a “life-giving home.”
- Stay up to date with YNAB. We fell off the train during the move, but are trying to get back into the daily habit of logging our purchases daily and following our budget.
Do you have goals for April? I’d love to hear them!